Thursday, December 31, 2009

Advice about VW Polo 52' (Problem with VW Dealership) Am I being ripped off?

I have a polo 1.2 3cylinder 52' plate.


I had my timing chain done 18 months ago at the local VW dealership-costing 拢450. Since then it hasn't been right.





I was on the motorway 5 weeks ago and my oil light came on, then the car lost power and died! I called the AA and the guy said it was the timing chain. I rang the dealership and they said if i could get it to them they would look. I got the car to them and the garage rang me saying that it was looking like the timing chain, but if not they would have to charge me 2 hours labour. so obviously i agreed.





I had a call a few days later saying its not the timing chain and they want 拢250 cost for looking at it! its not in a better state than it was 5 weeks ago. they are saying it is a spark plug fault, which i find unbelievable and impossible.





Are they trying to get out of fixing a fault that is under guarantee? any advice would be gratefully received!





Is 拢250 labour charge for looking acceptable? should I pay it? where do i stand? help!!Advice about VW Polo 52' (Problem with VW Dealership) Am I being ripped off?
Your mistake here was in taking your car to a VW dealer.


A VW dealer is there to sell you a new VW, but you should NEVER take your car to a main dealer for servicing, it's just a complete rip off.


Firstly, I wouldn't expect to be changing a timing chain on a 'quality' five year old car - at that point, I would have negotiated a discount via VW customer services, or had the chain replaced elsewhere (at around 拢120 - 拢150).





The next bit confuses me: If the AA chap (unprompted, I assume) told you it was a timing chain issue, the garage also said it was a timing chain issue, but it turned out to be a spark plug, then they are most certainly taking the piss.





I'm not surprised at a 拢250 bill from the dealer, I suspect this is just parts %26amp; labour for the current alleged fault, so ask them to physically point out what they've replaced. Does the part look new?





I don't know how much you know about cars, but the diagnosis of a failed timing chain would be pretty straightforward: The timing chain connects the crankshaft of the engine (the main rotating part that turns, sending power to the gearbox) to the camshaft (which operates the valves). A quick visual inspection through the oil filler cap would show whether the camshaft turns as the crankshaft is turned, I assume both the AA man %26amp; the VW garage would have done this first, seemingly confirming a failed timing chain. Any fault with a spark plug or coil wouldn't exhibit this behaviour.





SO, I am assuming that they have actually diagnosed a failed timing chain AGAIN %26amp; replaced it. The 拢250 is to try %26amp; recoup their losses.


The best way to double check is to take the car to a good independent garage %26amp; ask them, in their opinion, what work has been carried out. They can tell by signs of disturbed fixings, new gaskets, etc.





And finally, if you find a nice friendly INDEPENDENT garage, use them rather than the 'Dick Turpin' dealerships.





Good luck!Advice about VW Polo 52' (Problem with VW Dealership) Am I being ripped off?
Ask them by writing to them to put it all in writing, what is wrong and to provide a cost breakdown for the fix. When they ask why, advise them that the written word is the most acceptable evidence in a court of law. I suspect they will be only too glad to talk to you about sorting your probs quickly and at a fair price.
Sounds like a quick solicitor letter and also make sure you keep all evidence, times of calls , conversations etc.Why did you wait 18mths if you knew it wasnt right. Ask also what is their hourly labour rate, seems dear 拢125 / hour to me.
For 2 hours Labour, you are being ripped off. Contact the trading standards about thisand ask them to speak to the garage about this extortion. better still, contact Watchdog on the telly. There is too much of this going on with dalerships.
contact vw customer services and lodge a complaint
Reading between the lines.





I assume you and not the Garage have the car now.





You verbally agreed to 2 hrs Labour charges to determine a suspected fault which subsequently proved negative.


Have you got any paperwork ?? 1.Have you or can you obtain a copy of the AA attendance report (explain to them your reasons for wanting it- they may advise you free of charge)


2 Have you got an itemised Bill from the Garage.


Does this 拢250 include a verbal agreement to supply and fit parts found to be faulty?





My inclination would be : Write and inform them you are happy to pay the agreed 2hrs Labour (out of touch but 35/40拢 per hour wouldnt surprise me) but are unhappy with their subsequent repair.Tell them you have taken advice from an independent engineer and should they wish to take the matter further etc...





Such is the nature of the initial breakage that severe damage can be caused to the engine thats not readily apparent at the time - as you say its not ben right since.





Sorry cant be of more help. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment